Monday, April 11, 2011

Worry

Today is a short one. Mainly because I need the sleep but also because things are on my mind that block same. Worry is something that every good manager does. There are so many things that are in front of you to look after and you are responsible for all of them. The buck stops here. You have the food. Is it presented well? Is it tasty and appealing? Is it kept safe? Is it served well? You have the equipment. Is it running well? Are your gas items safe? Are your electricals safe? Do your refrigeration items keep to the right temperature? Are all of your equipment kept safe and maintained? You have the building. Is the air flow right? Are your customers comfortable? Do your chairs have rips or are they sound in structure? Are your walls kept clean and painted? Are your windows kept clean? Are you in control of the rodent or bug issues? Is your grease trap kept clean and maintained? You have your crew. Are they happy? Do they function well as a team? How do you handle the disagreements and troubles between them that all large groups have? You have your lot. Is it maintained well? Are the lines for parking defined? Where should your crew park? You have your customers. Are they happy? Are they being served quickly and efficiently? Do they like their food? Are their drinks kept up? You have your laws. Is there any new ones sneaking in that will affect you? Are their any new taxes that are being assessed you? Are you on top of any new employment laws? Are you staying up with new health laws? I can go on and on. Insurance, utilities, food purchasing and pricing, inspections (that is a big one), payroll........as you can see, it can be very overwhelming if you let it. And I guess lately, I have just a bit too much. I need to step back and let the people that I have placed in those places do their jobs and then I need to be able to hold them accountable without taking things to internally. I hit a rough patch last week and I am now pulling back out of it. I am not getting any younger and I need to slow down my pace just a bit. Should that be my new years resolution? We all need to step back from time to time, count our blessings, and stop our worrying. I have a beautiful wife, three great kids, a thriving and strong business, a comfortable house and car to drive, some very great friends, and am loved and respected by many. And above all of that, I have a God who cares enough for me to get my attention every once in a while and remind me of all of that. And I am grateful.

1 comment:

SkippyMom said...

The hardest thing about needing sleep is not being able to "turn off" your brain.

I hope you get a chance to relax and get a good nights sleep. It does make everything better.

Good luck.