Friday, June 21, 2024

Marcus

 

The first time that I met him was back in 2013.  It was the first year that we were invited to the Duck practices.  We watched them scrimmage in the indoor facility and then took a few pictures with the team afterwards.  I got a great picture with him that is up on the wall today.

After the practice, we got to talk with the coach for a bit and then were invited over to Autzen stadium.  As we walked to the stadium, I noticed someone leaning against my car. 


It was Marcus.  He was waiting for us and stopped to shake hands with every veteran that had come along.  We were all quite impressed that the young man would take the time to stop and honor them.




The next spring was his senior year and we were outside for practice.  That was the year that he won the Heisman and played in the National championship.  After practice, I had herded the guys toward the facilities and was walking across the field deep in thought when I heard a voice:

“Nice Aloha shirt”

“Thanks and I play ukulele also”

“Well, I don’t”

“Yes, but I can’t throw a football but that doesn’t even make us even”

We both laughed and just stood there and chatted for a small time.  He thanked me for bringing the guys over and I wished him well for the coming year.

He graduated that year and I felt that I probably would never see him again. 

Then in 2016, we were invited to a practice scrimmage.  It was quite an honor as it was the first scrimmage that anyone outside of the Ducks themselves had been invited to.

We were brought into the stadium in carts and I stayed behind to ensure all went well and rode in the last cart with two of the Sheriffs that had brought us in their busses.  As we came into the field, I noticed two guys standing down in the end zone.  It was Marcus and Hronus Grasu (who was now playing for the Chicago Bears).  I asked to be dropped off there and walked over to them with the sheriffs.


After taking the picture, I talked with Marcus and congratulated him on his successes.  I pointed out the old veterans who were over sitting in the stands:

“Do you see all those old veterans over there?”

“Yes”

“They really enjoy watching you play football.  But there is something about you that they are impressed even more than that”

“And what is that?”

“Your character.  They still remember how you stopped and talked with them a few years back.  They see how you carry yourself.  How you remain humble.  That sort of thing means far more than how far you can throw a football.  Don’t you ever forget that”

“Yes, sir”

We shook hands and I joined the guys in the stand. 

As I look back on those times, I am sometimes overwhelmed at how blessed that I have been.  Most feel honored just to meet a legend such as he is in the Duck world.  I have actually been able to have conversations with him. 

Interactions that stay with you…..that you never forget.

No comments: