Thursday, March 12, 2009

boredom

That is not a word that is in my vocabulary right now and has not been for quite some time. That does not mean, however, that I feel that the things that I am doing are interesting enough for me to write them down and have you enjoy reading them. My days are loaded with allot of.....stuff, interesting for me but just stuff.

I recall back when I first got out of high school, I went to work for a year in the saw mill where my father and brother were working. My first job was at the end of what they called a re saw. That is where they take a two inch board and rip it down to two one inch boards. I stood at the end of the saw, sawdust flying down my back and would just grab the end of the board as it came out of the saw and with the help of the man on the end of the load, stack the board. We would go on to stack a load, one board at a time. There was absolutely nothing that I could do to make that job interesting especially when you add in the irritation of the sawdust. I made a pact right then and there that mill work would not be my life. I know others enjoyed it and the rest of my brothers and father made a good life with it, but it was just not for me.

Fast forward nearly forty years and my life is anything but boring. As a matter of fact, I cannot find enough minutes in a day to get my job done the way that I want it to. I was in my office today and two thoughts came to my mind as I was working of things that must be done. I grabbed a piece of paper and began to write myself a note. By the time that I had written the first note, the second thought was gone and I still have not brought it back. As I recall, both of the thoughts were important and the other will probably resurface just before it has to be done. That is just my life....no complaints.

I am incredibly thankful and there is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful for the business that keeps me and our crew busy in these trying times and I am also humbled and thankful for all of the positive and uplifting comments that we are given.

Recently, we were notified by the chamber that we were nominated for small business of the year. I was surprised by that since it was the second year in a row that we have been nominated. And then I was even more blown away that we made the final three. I am not one that is very comfortable in formal settings but I am extremely appreciative of whomever nominated us and further being voted on to the finals. That alone is a huge honor that I don't take lightly.

No comments: